[ Home ]

Poisoning

ASPCA Animal Poison Control 24-hour Center

(888) 426- 4435

If you suspect your pet has swallowed any poison get your pet to the vet ASAP! 

Arsenic Poisoning

Arsenic is in many poisons for getting ants, rats, mice and slugs. needless to say this is dangerous and death can occur very quickly. 

Treatment - Induce Vomiting (see below) and get your pet to a veterinarian. ASAP!


AntiFreeze

Car ANTIFREEZE is deadly! Dogs love the taste of antifreeze and only a small amount can kill them. 


Raisins, Grapes & Avocado

Raisins, Grapes and Avocado are dangerous and very toxic to dogs and can shut down their kidney's.. some dogs seem to tolerate smaller portions but beware!


Onions & Garlic

Small amounts onions and garlic can be tolerated but are indeed toxic for dogs and especially cats.


Chocolate Poisoning

Dogs love chocolate, but chocolate is dangerous to our pets. The alkaloid or Theobromide in chocolate makes chocolate dangerous. Chocolate is harmful but in different amounts depending on the type of chocolate. Baking chocolate for example has the highest alkaloid content which is 400 milligrams (mg) per ounce. Dark Chocolate has a content of 150 mg per ounce and milk chocolate has 50 mg per ounce.

Reference -  A lethal dose for a 20 pound dog is 1,000 mg of alkaloid or the amount found in 2.5 ounces of baking chocolate.

Please be a responsible pet owner and do not give your pet ANY chocolate.

Signs of chocolate toxicity increased heart rate, heavy panting, urinary incontinence, and seizures.

Treatment If you know your dog has eaten chocolate recently ( just got done eating), induce vomiting, if two hours have passed you can administer activated charcoal to prevent the toxin from being absorbed. GET YOUR PET TO THE VET!


Whether to induce vomiting

( Just as in people )

DO NOT induce vomiting if your dog:

  • Swallows an acid, solvent, or heavy-duty cleaner.
  • Is severely depressed or comatose
  • Swallows a petroleum product
  • Swallows Tranquilizers (which prevents vomiting);
  • Swallows sharp objects (which can get lodged)
  • Or if two or more hours have passed since the poison has been swallowed.

 

TO INDUCE VOMITING

  • Syrup of ipecac -1/4 to 1 teaspoon per dose but no more than 2 doses.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (standard)- Mix an equal amount with water, using a turkey baster as a  applicator give about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. The dog should vomit within five minutes, if the dog does not wait another 10 minutes and give another dose. DO NOT give a third dose!
  • Activated Charcoal - DO NOT give charcoal with SYRUP of IPECAC - available in capsule form from a health food store can be administered orally every four hours in two to several ounces of water. The recommended dosage is 0.45 to 1.8 grams for every pound of weight.
  • One half to one teaspoon of salt, placed at the back of the tongue.

 
          
KirbysNetwork.com 1995 - 2018